Friday, June 10, 2011

GET ALONG ~ GET ALONG...

Theodore Roosevelt said, "The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people." 

I 'spose moving all my life should have been a giant plus in how to get along in life.  It would have helped if I hadn't been totally shy...I didn't like meeting people.  But, having 'a Michael' in my life changed all that.  Something about him must have rubbed off on me...imagine that.  I think he had 'the formula for success'.  He's always been dedicated to whatever he was/is involved in...100%. 

However...and this is a biggie...we are total opposites in most traits.  He's neat; I'm messy.  He plans ahead; I wait 'til the last minute.  Here's the other side...we're never late...we get things done...and we know how to get along w/people...people of all kinds!

I love Jim Henson and his Muppet's...talk about lovable things! He died young but left a mark on society. He said, "My hope still is to leave the world a bit better than when I got here"...Kermit, Miss Piggy, Sesame Street...I think he did, don't you?

That's my hope...I've been working on it for several years now. It probably began when we moved to Greece (my first flight overseas)...and we lived on the floor about our Greek landlords (Kyriakos and Yolande). Moving on to Germany...we shared a four story home with Herr and Frau Weggermann.

M has worked w/Koreans, Japanese, Turks, Greeks, Dutch, Germans, Vietnamese and Ethiopians. I worked in one room w/three men...a Pakistani, an Indian, a German, plus a militant woman from D.C. and two other American women...aah, variety. 

As the world turned M & I got along...with people. The biggest test came when we packed up/stored everything, left family & friends and moved to China where we lived in the middle of millions of Chinese.

We got along swimmingly, even though we didn't read, write or speak Chinese. Our smiles & nods spoke volumes and they loved us...as we loved them. Why else would we have eaten such delicacies as dog, monkey, camel, jellyfish and only God knows what else?  Ignorance is bliss...you betcha'.

Our four sons missed out on the Chinese food tasting...that came after they were on their own; however, some of the other moves honed their people skills. M and I are greatly pleased with their abilities (from their earliest years) to 'get along' with people of all ages, babies to the oldest of us.

Here's a last quote for this post...from Beverly De Angelis. "No matter what age you are, or what your circumstances might be, you are special and you still have something unique to offer.  Your life, because of who you are, has meaning."

There you have it...I am special, I am unique, so are you...and it doesn't matter that Michael is older than dirt and I am dirt. We mean something; we have something to offer and those somethings are about representing God and getting along with people.
Time to pony up; how's your 'get along'?  I'm gallopin' right along...Hi-Ho Vasca!

From my heart...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too cute. I can get along with everyone except my Mom. Ironic. Love reading your blog.

Rita